Wednesday 2 January 2008

Absurd Constructions




Looking at FutureCraft's crocheted Starfish necklace (below) made me think about a piece of work I am currently developing. Buildings knitted in an elaborate woven construction of scaffolding have interested me for years. My archive of photographs of such structures, taken over a period of eight years,
will form the base for a series of plates documenting architecture in a state of collapse. Throughout this period I have been increasingly interested in Eva Hesse's Rope installations which she often refered to as 'absurd constructions'. The tension in her work is increased by wondering if it is just about to fall apart, unravel, disintegrate or be rebuilt. In the same way I think of crocheting, weaving, knitting, scaffolding even drystone walling as somewhere between functional, unsteady, protective and absurd.

You can see a great film of Eva Hesse 'building' a sculpture at www.evahesse.com

My collection of plates and bowls will be exhibited online in February in the shop and on display at TIN HUT in march (see more info about TIN SHED in the archive right)

No comments: