Tuesday 8 April 2008

I'm Dreaming of a Collaboration

I have a habit of trying to organise people into working together. Although I find it hard to work with other people when it comes to making a piece of work (something that will be put to he test later this year with a collaboration in the pipe line) I can't help but dream of the outcome of certain people working together.
Image: Back of Warehouse (from Industrial Landscapes series), Denise Allan.

My current mission began when the lovely Lucy May Schofield came to the Tin Shed show and said how much she loved Denise's 1950's Industrial Landscape Bureau which housed Lucy's books. She also said how much she was inspired by Erica Weiner's jewellery (in particular the Milagro Heart necklace that she purchased!).

Image above: Roadkill, Lucy May Schofield
So my mind began to whirl. Three really interesting artists, one who currently turns furniture into small dioramas of abandoned dockland, one who creates intricate books that fold and reveal unusual images and another who casts found objects into nostalgic, and often morbid, pieces of jewellery.

I would love to get them together and curate a project very soon and am looking into the possibility of it. The only real problem is the Atlantic ocean, but we will find a way! I'll keep you posted.
Image left: Erica Weiner's New York Studio




The notion of collaboration is a really interesting one. I suppose to some degree every piece of work is a collaborate effort. I strongly believe that nothing of any interest is created within a vacuum and the more references made to other ideas, cultures and disciplines within art, the better. This leads me to link to possibly one of the most influential artists within my own practice, Gordon Matta Clark. Clark collaborated with many different people, but just as interestingly, he collaborated with existing structures. James Attlee wrote a really interesting essay on the issues that arise in the collaboration process, using Clark and the collaborative exhibition Anarchitecture as the subject matter.



image: Splitting, Gordon Matta Clark

No comments: