Wednesday 19 November 2008

Wearing your teacup on your sleeve

I have a confession to make. I am normally, and unashamedly, unfaithful when it comes to jewellery, I can change necklaces three times a day without a care, despite the fact that I have been searching for years for a 'signature' piece that I could wear everyday and it would be known as 'my necklace' or 'my bracelet'. Recently, however, my long search may be over, in the form of a humble little charm bracelet.


I have been wearing 'my' pea green Snowflake Teacup Charm Bracelet for the past few weeks and I just can't bring myself to take it off! Created by the celebrated ceramicist Bethan Lloyd Worthington, these wonderful gold lined ceramic charms, in the form of 1950's inspired teacups, teapots and jugs are hung on vintage Art Deco brass chains, fastening with a stylish clasp.

Charm bracelets have a long, romantic, history which might explain my desire to hold on tight to this piece of jewellery more than others.


Amulet or Charm from Europe, 2nd century BC-2nd century AD

Dated as far back as Ancient Egypt, the different charms were seen as ways to identify each other and to help the Gods guide the wearer and his/her possessions to the proper status level in the afterlife. Kind of an "if found, please return to" tag. Throughout history, charm bracelets have been worn by kings and knights for luck and to show allegiance. Later, into the Victorian era and into the World Wars they were used as a way to declare the love for a specific person. By the end of WWII charm jewellery, as we know it today, was a commercial enterprise. Soldiers leaving Europe and islands in the Pacific purchased little handmade trinkets as gifts to bring home to their sweethearts.

It seems now when we think of charms we picture those heavy bracelets with the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty dangling off. But in the past they have been subtle, secret objects, perhaps just with one single charm that identified a person's status, love or profession and it's that significance that is so charming about Bethan's collection of single charms.

The Tea set Charms are available in Jewellery Room 2 in The Shop Floor Project.

£24 each.

No comments: