Friday 16 April 2010

The wonderful world of Maria Sibylla Merian





For the past week I have been completely immersed in the rich and inspiring life of Maria Sibylla Merian. I'm currently doing some research for a secret, upcoming exhibition at The Shop Floor Project (which will open in early autumn) when I came upon Merian and now I am simply hooked on her life and work!

A 17th century naturalist and artist Merian broke many rules of her time (including divorcing her husband and travelling without a chaperone to South America) to become one of the most important figures in the European Age of Discovery.


The newly reprinted book, The Metamorphoses of the Insects of Surinam, (available from amazon) displays ninety five of Merian's most celebrated work from her time in South America and is such a treat to browse through. She is seen as such an important figure that her portrait is used on a German banknote. I am amazed it took me all this time to find out about her!


Although I can't say much about our exhibition I can say it will include lots of flora and fauna which, as every visitor to The Shop Floor Project can see, we love in any decorative form! Whilst having a quick look through our jewellery cabinets I think Merian would have highly approved of modern day women showing their love for the natural world by wearing the Bumble Bee necklace, Cicada Earrings or the Hummingbird Skull necklace!

All jewellery by Erica Weiner in Jewellery Room 1 at The Shop Floor Project

No comments: